Tuesday, July 31, 2012

What have I been up to?

Life has been a little busy for me lately and I haven't had time to focus on working on my Beardie Project.
I have been researching a lot about feeder insects to feed my dragon while I'm waiting for the Dubia colony to expand.
So far, none of my Dubias are of breeding age, but they're eating lots of oranges and shedding a lot, which I'm happy about. I check on them every other day to see if they need more water and to give them more orange slices. I need to find a place to procure some cardboard egg flats for my little roaches to climb. The noise they make as they run all over each other is a little unsettling, but I like them and I think they're pretty interesting.
I bought two 17"x17" inch ceramic tiles from Lowes and they fit snugly inside the 40 Gallon tank, width-wise. There's a bit of a large gap, lengthwise so the grout lines are a little different, but the basking area/playground will hide most of it. I grouted the tile with a dot of caulk on the middle of the tile to hold it in place and caulked all the way around. It's a lot easier to pop the tiles out and clean this way. Plus I don't have to worry about sealing the grout.
I've been working on my styrofoam basking area/hide thing. It will take up the back half of the tank and will have an Australian rock theme. I'm pretty excited about it, I hope it looks the way I imagine it will.
I'll have to post pictures of my Dubia colony and the tiles when I get home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment